[3dem] Movie-mode data collection and Intra-movie alignments in cryo-EM

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 06:19:26 PDT 2014

Dear All,

With the advent of the ever more popular "movie mode" data collection
and "intra movie" alignments in single-particle cryo-EM, I would like to
remind our community of this important 30-year old paper by our late
friend Wolfgang Kunath:

*TIME-RESOLVED LOW-DOSE MICROSCOPY OF GLUTAMINE SYNTHETASE MOLECULES*

**

*Ultramicroscopy 13 (1984) 241-252*

W. KUNATH, K. WEISS, H. SACK-KONGEHL, M. KESSEL and E. ZEITLER

*"Time sequences of low-exposure images from the enzyme molecules of
glutamine synthetase have been recorded digitally using an on-line
recording system. Processing the images results in a time sequence of
averaged molecule images which, in the very beginning, exhibit the
molecule structure still undamaged by electron irradiation. Different
sources of the noise which obscures structural details, such as shot
noise, stain embedding and radiation damage, are investigated."*

All the best,

Marin

     Prof. Dr. Ir. Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618
     Skype:  Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com   (Élen Tomazela)

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk

     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625

     Visiting Professor at:

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
     mobile phone  +55-19-99369051

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.
Moreover, the IC spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make
legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)