[3dem] electron dose & data collection strategy for Titan Krios, 300kV, Falcon back thinned

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 01:46:46 PST 2014

Hi Shabih,

We have had good results on our Krios with a pixel size of 1.3 Angstroms
(i.e. a nominal magnification of 59,000x), using 1 second exposures with
a dose of ~25 e-/A^2. That should be a small enough pixel to reach the
3A-end of your target resolution range. If you're capturing movies, you
may want to consider that beyond a dose of 10 e-/A^2 there will be
_very_ little signal left at 3 Angstrom resolution. However, depending
on the shape of your virus (are there nice features to align on or is it
a featureless ball?) you may still need the higher doses to also get
strong enough lower frequencies for accurate alignment.

In many cases, we have found it more efficient (both in microscopy time
and in computing time) to collect a relatively small number of very good
pictures (manually deleting bad ones as they are collected, and moving
to a different area of the grid if a given area gives many bad images)
over collecting many thousands of pictures of widely varying quality.
But experiences with this may vary, and it will strongly depend on the
skills of the microscopist, the automation software used, and the
quality of the grids. In any case, given the icosahedral symmetry of
your virus, you will not need many particles: several thousand good ones
should be enough.

Good luck!
Sjors