[3dem] Magnification anisotropy at low mag settings on Titan Krios

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:03:58 PDT 2014

Dear All (and Holger, Max, and Niko),

I now realize that when astigmatism introduced at the level of the
objective lens is corrected much further down in the optical system then
that may result in anisotropic magnification of the imaging system…With
the Cs corrector in place (and with the objective lens stigmator
deactivated), astigmatism must be corrected by other stigmators
(quadrupole lenses) further downstream. The Cs corrector gives you ample
opportunities to correct the astigmatism but depending on how you do it
that can go at the cost of anisotropic magnification.The ~7%
magnification we found in one case, where this astigmatism correction
was apparently not performed correctly, was based on the image and the
amplitude spectrum attached. The images were collected with a Falcon-2
in movie mode (7 frames) and were aligned with the ALIGN-MOVIE command.
Interestingly the resulting spectrum shows systematic information in the
corners, at around 1.9A, that is, beyond the Nyquist frequency of
images. This grid hole obviously has a strong ice contamination.

Cheers

Marin

On 24/05/2014 09:23, Stark, Holger wrote:

> Dear Marin and Max,
>
> our Cs corrected Titan initially had a linear magnification distortion
> of ~5% which is worse than the “normal” distortions one can typically
> observe for non-corrected microscopes. While this is not the primary
> use of a Cs corrector,  it is nevertheless possible to tune the
> corrector to minimize linear distortion. In our Cs corrected Titan we
> can reduce the linear distortion to <0.1% and these settings are
> stable over a very long period of time. Tuning the corrector for
> optimized linear distortion comes with a disadvantage of a slight
> increase in higher order aberrations. Those are, however, not
> resolution limiting in biological imaging and only of concern for
> material scientists. As Marin pointed out stable Cs corrector
> alignment requires a very stable high-tension and it takes indeed
> several hours (over night) to sufficiently stabilize after a restart.
>
> In non-corrected microscopes linear distortion cannot be compensated
> and is dependent on the level of astigmatism in the microscope and
> therefore on the level of excitation of the stigmator which introduces
> the distortion. Since the basic level of astigmatism differs between
> microscopes one can expect the level of linear distortions to be in
> the range of 0.5-2%.
>
> Best regards
>
> Holger

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano