[3dem] cleaning grids before freezing

Bill & Sue Tivol wtivol at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 16:14:51 PDT 2014

Hi Bob,
	I use the gold as fiducial markers.  If you're doing single-particle,
they provide a high-contrast object for an auto-focus routine to work
with, and if you're doing tomography they are good for image
alignment.  I also often add gold to the specimen (for tomography),
but in both cases, I choose a total amount to provide a pretty good
chance of having sufficient beads in the field, but not so many that
they either interfere with images of the specimen or confuse the focus
or alignment routines.  I wouldn't think it's effective to prevent
sticking, since that would require a lot of gold.
						Yours,
						Bill

>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu