[3dem] Anti-vibration platforms for TEM

Bob Grassucci rg2502 at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:24:56 PDT 2014

Hi John,
We have an active anti vibration system and an active field cancelling
system on the 5th floor of of a building in Manhattan. The field
cancelling system has been fine but the anti-vibration system had to be
re-tuned when the center of gravity changed upon mounting our K2
camera.  The FEI microscopes are mounted on air bags which damp most
vibrations and if FEI says that the suites pass their tests then I also
would be less concerned.  Were the site tests by FEI done during a busy
time of day?  That might give you a clue.  The only potential issue you
might have with the platform is the height it adds to the scope.  Do you
want to be climbing up to the scope to use it?  It could help but it is
debatable whether it is necessary. The thing about building budgets is
that if you don't use it right away and need it later these funds are
gone.  Good luck.  I am sure there are others on the list with more insight.
Bob