[3dem] Anti-vibration platforms for TEM

John Rubinstein john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 8 07:52:05 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We are in the process of building an EM suite in our new research tower in downtown Toronto. The facility will soon house existing FEI TF20, T20, and SEM instruments, and will likely house additional/replacement instruments in the near future.

We have located space on the 6th floor of the tower that comfortably passes FEI's vibration and EMI requirements (above the magnetic fields from subways, streetcars, and power transformers and below the portion of the building with significant low-frequency swaying). However, our architect's acoustics/vibration consultants are concerned about foot-fall vibrations. Our (very experienced) FEI engineer and I are less concerned. (The standard technique of cutting the slab beneath the microscope to uncouple it from the main slab does not work on the 6th floor unless one wishes to end up on the 5th floor).

The acoustics/vibration consultants are advocating the use of anti-vibration platforms beneath the instruments. I have never before seen these platforms used with transmission electron microscopes but would be happy to include them if they make the microscope even more stable. If anybody has experience with antivibration platforms for TEM, I would appreciate hearing about it, particularly about any possible negative negative consequences you may have had. We have ample floor to ceiling space in the building and a generous construction budget for the project, so those factors are not a concern.

Thanks and best wishes,
John

--
John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program