[3dem] Multi CPU desktop

Steven Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Tue Apr 8 07:02:25 PDT 2014

I'm using a 16 core (2x8) Xeon setup at the moment, which is quite good for a wide range of problems, particularly if you equip it with a fast internal RAID. The Opteron processors have remained pretty sluggish per-core compared to the Intel processors in recent years. That is, 16 opteron cores vs 16 Xeon cores at the same clock speed still has a substantial performance difference for floating point math. For most image processing applications, performance within a specific chip series will scale pretty linearly with clock speed, so 8x3 ghz cores will be equivalent to 12x2 ghz cores in the same series.  If you're thinking about the opterons, I would definitely suggest seeing if you can run a benchmark before purchasing, and make sure the $$$ you're forking out for a large number of cores is going to get you a real advantage.

On Apr 8, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Hernando J Sosa <hernando.sosa at einstein.yu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am considering getting a desktop for  image processing and was looking into some 4  CPU ones  (Opteron  16 cores each e.g.  http://www.thinkmate.com/system/hpx-qs5-4410) . I was wondering  if anybody has any particular suggestion or better alternatives (apart from submitting your jobs to a central computing facility).
>

> Thanks
>
> Hernando

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.         (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging        (ncmi.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                          (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)
Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.edu