[3dem] Experience with a Gatan Orius SC1000 at the side port of a Spirit

Bettina Boettcher bettina.boettcher at ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 28 11:06:12 PST 2013

Dear All,

we are currently planing an upgrade of our conventional TEM facilitiy in
Edinburgh. We would like to mount a Gatan Orius 1000 (4008x2672 pixels)
to the side port of a Tecnai Spirit Biotwin (and a 4kx4k slow scan to
the bottom).
I was wondering whether there is any experience with a similar setup .
In particular I am interested in
1) What is the maximal field of view of the Orius at the side.
2) Somebody mentioned to us that the size of the beam at the side port
is smaller than the  chip, so it cannot be completely covered. Therefore
some cropping of the image is required, Is this true and if so by how
much is the image cropped.
3) Can the Orius be used with the FEI software (embedded), does it work
well, does it take care of the cropping (if required)

I would also appreciate a few demo micrographs, which demonstrate the
field of view or the contrast in the side port (if you like to share
micrographs with me, please send them directly to me, that the mailing
list does not get spammed). I am particularly interested in plastic
embedded sections... Our current setup has the Orius at the bottom and
it does not satisfy our needs for the field of view. So it is really the
performance of the camera in the side port of a Spirit that I am
interested in.

Many thanks for your help

Bettina

--
Prof. Bettina Boettcher
Swann Building R 334

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.