[3dem] "leopard skin" ice

Shi PhD, Dan shid at janelia.hhmi.org
Wed Nov 20 09:55:42 PST 2013

Hi Frank,
The leopard skin is comprised of nano-ice/salt crystals, they might come
from slow ice contamination in high vacuum environment with small leaks
which were observed by number of labs, and another possibility is the
solution containing certain type of salts/agents which are precipitated or
crystallized during freezing, the third one could be the cooling liquid
was too 'warm'.
You may try to freeze your sample at different lab or freeze a simple
buffer like 20 mM NaCl using your Vitrobot.
Good luck,

Dan Shi
JFRC, HHMI
19700 Helix Dr