[3dem] "leopard skin" ice

Richard Collins r.collins at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 09:30:05 PST 2013

Hi Frank,

I sometimes see that phenoma once in blue moon, but  it tends to be with membrane proteins where the detergent lowers the surface tension of the solution. Does your sample have detergent??

I also once had a batch of quantifoils that had some sort of hyrdophobic contamination on the surface of the carbon - you got these patches, but only around the edge of the 2um hole while the ice in the hole was fine.

Regards

Rich

Dr Richard Collins
Senior Experimental Officer – Single Particle EM
University of Manchester,
Faculty of Life Sciences,
Michael Smith Building D1527,
Oxford Road,