[3dem] relion-1.2 release

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 04:24:03 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

We have now released version 1.2 of our single-particle refinement
program RELION. RELION employs an empirical Bayesian approach to infer
model parameters from the data, so that objective and high-quality
reconstructions are obtained with minimal user intervention. We recently
used this program to obtain near-atomic resolution ribosome maps from
~30k particles (http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00461).

Apart from bug fixes and code optimisation, release 1.2 has two new main
features:
1) a movie-processing procedure (which we used to process the DDD-movies
in the eLife paper mentioned above)
2) a semi-automated post-processing procedure (for improved resolution
estimates after masking, see Shaoxia Chen et al, Ultramicroscopy in
press, MTF correction and B-factor sharpening)

More details and download instructions are on the RELION wiki at
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion. Please note we use the CCP-EM
RELION-related questions, bug reports, etc.

Hoping RELION-1.2 will be useful in your research,
Sjors

PS: A special thanks to all those involved in beta-testing. Please
re-install the official 1.2 release if you have previously worked with a
pre-release version.

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology