[3dem] How to determine a symmetry of a ring particle?

Bernard Heymann bernard_heymann at nih.gov
Mon Jan 14 08:16:26 PST 2013

Pawel is right - in an anal retentive way. However, the alignment is just translational and does not change the nature of the noise. Also, the amount of shift is dependent on how well the particle was picked. So if you want to leave out the alignment, you just have to pick the particle very carefully. So in practice, it is splitting hairs to call it statistically invalid.

I applaud the people who had positive suggestions. I would suggest that you try different methods and see whether you get reasonable results. The RotaStat program did produce useful results and is worth a try.

Best

Bernard

J. Bernard Heymann Ph.D.
LSBR/NIAMS/NIH