[3dem] Don't blame your thermometer...

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 28 09:00:47 PDT 2013

Hi Marin,

I tried to stay out of this, but now that my name has been mentioned...

First of all thank you for bringing gold-standard procedures for
refinement again into the spotlight. This is an important issue, and as
you rightly pointed out, this problem has been well known for many
years. Still, many in the field have been slow to change their
refinement procedures accordingly...

I don't think that the use of "gold-standard FSC" leaves much room for
confusion. It is for example equivalent to the use of "free R-factor" in
protein crystallography: there is only one mathematical formula to
calculate the measure (so no room for confusion), and the adjective
refers to the procedure in which it is being used (the R-factor itself
is not "free"). I'm afraid that the confusion and lack of understanding
that you observe with some scientists is unlikely to be resolved by
changing semantics. Good-old training will have to solve that and teach
responsible use of the available procedures.

Groeten,
Sjors