[3dem] Gatan and Leica

Juha Huiskonen juha at strubi.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 04:25:03 PDT 2012

Hi Ed,

I have been very happy with our Gatan CP3.  We absolutely need the humidity chamber and the temperature readings are a good add-on, as we work with ethane/propane mixture.

We used to get pretty good ice with single sided blotting on (thick) 200 mesh 2/1 C-flats.  The carbon does break sometimes.  I am not sure if we have the modified version that was referred to or not.

However, recently we had to ship the kit back to service, as the mechanism got loose, causing the tweezers to be positioned too low for single-sided blotting (the blotting paper would touch the tweezers and push them away, not making any contact with the grid).  After service, the problem still remains.  However, Gatan UK has been very helpful getting this sorted out.  I can let you know how it goes.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Juha

--
Dr. Juha T. Huiskonen
Group leader, Academy of Finland Research Fellow