[3dem] Gatan and Leica

Bob Grassucci rg2502 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 17 08:09:16 PDT 2012

Hi Ed,
We have also been having problems with the Vitrobot Mark IV getting
consistent results.  We got a Gatan CP3 but it seems to blot too hard
causing the carbon to break.  I understand that there is a modification
for the CP3 to have it blot more gently but have not had a chance to try
it out.  The CP3 is a bit more manual than the Vitrobot (which may not
be a bad thing) and you can not vary the temperature without bringing
the whole unit into a room with the temperature you want.  You can
however blot from one or both sides with the CP3.  I have not tried the
Leica.  Good luck.
Regards,
Bob

On 9/14/2012 8:05 PM, Edward Egelman wrote:
> Hi,
>   We have been using the Vitrobot, but have had numerous problems.
> Does anyone have experience with the Leica or Gatan cryo-plungers?
> Regards,
> Ed
>
> --
>
> <mailbox:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/bob/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/4vw4g5cw.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/General%20Correspondence.sbd/3D-EM%20List?number=20701369&header=quotebody&part=1.1.2.3&filename=signature.html>
>
> Edward H. Egelman, Ph.D.
>
> Professor
>
> Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
> University of Virginia
>
> phone: 434-924-8210
> fax: 434-924-5069
> egelman at virginia.edu <mailto:egelman at virginia.edu>