[3dem] Carbon coater

Guy SCHOEHN schoehn at embl.fr
Thu Sep 6 12:48:08 PDT 2012

Hi again

Following Gina's suggestion, please find below the different answer I
got so far:
It can may be be useful for other lab.

Answer 1

We bought the Cresington 208C carbon evaporator about a year ago.

http://www.cressington.com/product_208c.html

We are quite happy with the system. It is reliable and easy to operate.
We also bought the thickness monitor although we do not find it very
useful. We often trust better our traditional method of folding a piece
of filter paper to cash a white shadow that does not get cover by
carbon.

The glow discharge accessory is pretty convenient, fast and easy to
use. If budget allows I would recommend to purchase the system with the
dry vacuum pumping system comprised of the turbo pump and a Dry Scroll
Pump. It will make your system completely oil free and will prevent oil
mist contaminations of your grids.

Answer 2

We also bought the Cressington carbon coater 208 recently and I can
fully support Joaquins statement. We have it also with the thickness
monitor but also think that it is not essential to have it. We don't
have the glow discharge from that company so I can not judge on that.

Answer 3

we have many happy customers using the EMS 150 Series of Coaters. It is
a very modern and flexible instrument for a good value. You can buy it
as a rotary- or turbo-pumped system, with carbon-rod and/or carbon-fiber
source. It is possible to upgrade it with Sputter-, Evaporation-,
Aperture-Cleaning- and Glow-Discharge inserts. It always uses the same
base system, vacuum and control unit, therefore it is very flexible and
favorable.

What would you like to coat? - For high-purity carbon, as used for
coating grids, the turbo-pumped, high-vacuum system is a must. We
recommend using a good two to four stage membrane pump as roughing pump.
It is clean, silent, basically maintainance-free, very reliable and cost
efficient. Coating just for conductivity is not a big issue and a rotary
pumped system can be used.

I am happy to help if you have any detailed questions.

Guy