[3dem] Lack of Lateral Views

Brian Gibbons brian.j.gibbons at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:57:30 PDT 2012

Dear Veer,

You can try coating grids with polylysine (or peptides, fibronectin, etc.)
or something that either repels the ring faces, or attracts the ring sides.

You can try adding glucose/glycerol/PEG to the stain solution which can
sometime increase random adsorption to the grid.  This has worked for some,
although this has caused more "fuzzy" appearance when I've done it.

Random conical tilt (RCT) will only work if your particles/rings are NOT
symmetrical so you can align the un-tilted particles before doing the
reconstructions; but tilting or tomography might still give some 3D info.

Best wishes,
Brian

Brian Gibbons, Ph.D.
Stanford University School of Medicine