[3dem] how to do cryo-EM sample preparation with the sample heated to 60 degree

yanzhang yanzhang at moon.ibp.ac.cn
Mon May 14 17:49:49 PDT 2012

Dear all,
            I encountered a problem when I was doing the cryo-EM
sample preparation: During the sample preparation process using FEI
vitroboot system, I also needed to  heat the sample to 60 degree
inside the cavity of vitroboot, because I wanted to see if the
structure of my protein would be changed after heated to 60 degree.
But when I observed the heated cryo-em sample using electron
microscopy, I found a strange phenomenon: 1. there was no ice in most
of the holes; 2. Only very very few holes located at the boundary of
some squares of the grid have ice; 3. For the very few holes with ice,
there were very little samples located at the inside boundary of the
holes.

            I tried many different conditions of blotting time and
blotting force, but no chang for the sample.

            I'm not sure why I can't get a good heated cryo-em sample.
Then I tried to heated the sample in the water-bath first, then add
the sample to the tweezers in vitroboot (vitroboot also heated to 60
degree), but nothing changed, I still can't get a good sample to
collect data.

           p.s. I used the quantiful film for cryo-em sample
preparation. I once tried the carbon film for this heated cryo-em
sample preparation, but the results even worse: the films were totally
broken.

           Even I repeat the experiment many times, but I got nothing.
So please anyone who have the experiences of doing heated cryo-em
sample preparation, please give me suggestions!

          Thank you!
yanzhang

yanzhang at moon.ibp.ac.cn

Institute of Biophysics,