[3dem] Ethane - propane mix

Cindi Schwartz cindi.schwartz at Colorado.EDU
Wed May 2 12:22:52 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Ken had asked about our source of propane. So, we just get it from the local hardware store. It's the 400g bottle. One brand is "Worthington Pro Grade" and the other we have is "Wagon Master Propane Fuel". Then it says on the label: Fits all standard propane heaters, lanterns, stoves and torches. It's really the cheap stuff and we don't get any oil slicks or anything.

Anyway, Mary Morphew says she remembers going to a meeting in Austria some time back where someone was testing propane purity and found that the less pure propane did better freezing--it's what we've used ever since with great success.

As for Ken's final question---it is the propane you use for BBQ or torches, but the small self-contained bottle, not the refillable kinds.

Best,
Cindi

>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu
>>>

>> ****************************
>> Cindi L. Schwartz
>> University of Colorado
>> Dept. MCDB
>> 347 UCB
>> Boulder, CO  80309
>> O: 303-492-7980
>> F: 303-735-0770
>> http://bio3d.colorado.edu
>>

> --
> Kenneth H. Downing
> Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
> 112 Donner Lab, Berkeley, CA 94720    tel 510-486-5941; fax 510-486-6488
>
> UC Berkeley Graduate Group in Comparative Biochemistry
> Senior Associate Editor, Microscopy Research and Technique

Cindi L. Schwartz
University of Colorado
Dept. MCDB
347 UCB