[3dem] Biology infrastructure at the XFEL

Philipp Heuser philipp.heuser at embl-hamburg.de
Wed Jan 25 04:35:13 PST 2012

The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the European X-ray
Free Electron Laser (XFEL) at DESY, Hamburg, Germany, have a keen
interest in the development of FEL-based applications in structural
biology. Within this framework the EMBL, together with international
collaborators from Russia, Sweden and Germany, propose to construct a
biology infrastructure at the XFEL facility (expected completion in
2016) to enable biological experiments using the high brilliance,
ultrashort pulse duration and high repetition rate coherent X-ray radiation.

The proposed biological sample infrastructure facility will provide:
- support to the international life-science community in generation and
handling of challenging samples in immediate proximity to XFEL instruments.
- appropriate selection, quality control and evaluation of samples,
including correlative imaging, immediately prior to XFEL experiments.
- standardized technology for data interpretation, including computation
and validation of structural models.

In order to ensure efficient operation of the facility and provide
optimal services for the international biological community we seek your
input to identify the requirements necessary to support these novel
biological imaging experiments. We would appreciate your input in the
web-based questionnaire available at
http://www.embl-hamburg.de/xfel_cgi-bin/questionnaire

The results of this survey will be used to identify the most pressing
needs that should be taken into account during planning and construction
of the infrastructure.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dr Philipp Heuser
Postdoctoral fellow

EMBL-Hamburg c/o Building 25A, DESY
Notkestrasse 85