[3dem] Postdoc positions at Imperial College London

Zhang, Xiaodong xiaodong.zhang at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 04:53:59 PST 2012

We wish to recruit two Research Associates to work in the research teams of Professor Xiaodong Zhang and Professor Paul Freemont (www.msf.bio.ac.uk<http://www.msf.bio.ac.uk/>), in the Division of Molecular Biosciences, Centre for Structural Biology, at the South Kensington Campus of Imperial College London. Our research groups comprise research fellows, research associates and PhD students from a diverse range of background from molecular biology, biochemistry, X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, to chemistry, physics and engineering. We employ a multi-disciplinary approach to study the structures and mechanisms of large macromolecular complexes.

Post 1: Structural and mechanistic studies of p97 and cofactors – NS2011 242 KT
The multifunctional AAA ATPase p97 is involved in a myriad of cellular processes including cell cycle regulation, membrane traffic, protein quality control, DNA metabolism, signalling and apoptosis. Consequently mutations in p97 cause cell deaths or various disease.  Furthermore, p97 has been shown to be a potential target for cancer treatment. We are currently conducting an exciting and comprehensive study on the structure and mechanism of the p97 and cofactor proteins using a combination of protein biochemistry, X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy techniques. The successful candidates will be responsible for carrying out structural and functional studies of the p97 and its cofactors, using X-ray crystallography, NMR and electron microscopy.

Post 2: Structural studies of Chromatin Remodelling Complexes – NS2011 187 KT
Eukaryotic genomic DNA is organized into nucleosomes and chromatin for genome stability and integrity. However, this creates barriers for processes that require access to the DNA, such as transcription and DNA repair.  Chromatin remodeling complexes remodel nucleosomes and chromatin to provide access.  The INO80 complex is a multi-subunit, large macromolecular machine that remodels nucleosomes upon DNA damage in order for the repair machinery to access the damaged DNA. We are currently conducting an exciting and comprehensive study on the structure and mechanism of the INO80 complex using a combination of protein biochemistry, X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy techniques. The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out structural studies of the INO80 complex, primarily using electron microscopy techniques. The successful candidate will work closely with Prof. Wigley’s laboratory at the Institute of Cancer Research, Chester Beatty Laboratories where the majority of the protein biochemistry will be carried out.
Successful candidates must hold a PhD in a structural biology or biochemistry discipline and have demonstrated an ability to carry out high quality original research using electron microscopy or X-ray crystallography techniques.

Closing date – Feb 29th, 2012

Our preferred method of application is online via our website http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/employment (please select “Job Search” then enter the job title or vacancy reference number including spaces into “Keywords”).  Please complete and upload an application form as directed, attaching a curriculum vitae, a cover letter and the name and contact details of two referees.  For informal enquiries please contact Professor Xiaodong Zhang xiaodong.zhang at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:xiaodong.zhang at imperial.ac.uk>

Alternatively, if you are unable to apply online, please contact Kasia Pearce k.pearce at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:k.pearce at imperial.ac.uk> by email to request an application form.

Committed to equality and valuing diversity.  We are also an Athena Silver SWAN Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion and a Stonewall Top 100 Employer 2011.

Prof Xiaodong Zhang
Division of Molecular Bioscience
Imperial College London
London, SW7 2AZ