[3dem] Virus particles excluded from CryoEM holey grids holes

R.I.Koning at lumc.nl R.I.Koning at lumc.nl
Tue Aug 28 07:47:16 PDT 2012

Hi Daniel,

The amorphous structures you observed I have seen in pure lipid vesicle suspensions and are top (round disks) and side views (double lines) of flat lipid disks. I cannot exclude that in your case these flattened disks are flattened virus capsids. In that case it might be difficult to remove them from your suspension.

As suggested earlier, the addition of small molecules might greatly alter the adherence of particles to your grid. Alternatively you could think about adding a very thin carbon film to the holey carbon grids (by picking up a thin layer from water) so the viruses also attach in the ‘holes’. Another alternative is to use lacey carbon films with have very little carbon.

Good luck,

Roman

Dr. R.I.Koning

Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Cell Biology, Section Electron Microscopy
Postal Zone S1-P, P.O.Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands

visiting address. Einthovenweg 20, Building 2, zone S1-P, room R-90-20
tel. (31) 71 526 9296 fax. (+31) 71 526 8270 mail. r.i.koning at lumc.nl web. electronmicroscopy.lumc.nl