[3dem] How to break down virus envelop?

Xinghong Dai bestdz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 00:57:12 PDT 2012

Hi.

I need to break down (or partially dissolve) the envelope of my viral
particles, so that I can get thinner ice after plunge freezing. I tried
NP40. It worked well at a concentration from 0.1% to 1%. However, it also
introduced new problem. Seems that the detergent reduced the surface tension
of the solution, so the sample was blotted away very easily. Only a few
particles were retained around the hole of the quantifoil grid. If I reduce
the blot time from 20s to 16s, 10s etc., it did not help to retain viral
particles, but only resulted to thicker ice.

Does anyone have experience about freezing sample that contains detergent?
Or is there any detergent other than NP40 that can break the viral envelope
but will not reduce the surface tension so much?

Any comment is appreciated!

Best regards,

Xinghong Dai @ UCLA