[3dem] RELION release

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 06:57:29 PST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the release of a new program for
single-particle refinement, called RELION (for REgularised LIkelihood
OptimisatioN). RELION implements a novel, Bayesian approach to
single-particle refinement, which is explained in detail in the
following paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2011.11.010  (JMB, in
press). RELION may be used to calculate reference-free 2D class
averages, to classify structurally heterogeneous data sets in 3D, and to
refine structurally homogeneous data sets to high resolution.

In brief, RELION iteratively learns the optimal linear (or Wiener)
filter for each reconstruction from the data themselves. In this way,
the reconstruction(s) are simultaneously low-pass filtered and corrected
for CTF effects without the need for user supervision. Thereby,
subjective decisions related to arbitrary low-pass filters and/or
heuristic approximations to the 3D Wiener filter are avoided. The
resulting algorithm is effective in reducing overfitting, obtaining
objective resolution estimates, and detecting small classes in
structurally heterogeneous data sets.

RELION is open-source and may be downloaded for free from:
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion
I hope this new program will contribute positively to your research, and
would appreciate your feedback on it.

Best regards,
Sjors

--