[3dem] Call for papers for a special issue on Cryo-EM based modeling

Steven Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Thu May 12 05:52:48 PDT 2011

In the last 1/2 of 2010, Helen Berman, Gerard Kleywegt, Wah Chiu, Cathy Lawson and I sponsored the
first Cryo-EM Modeling Challenge (http://ncmi.bcm.edu/challenge) and an accompanying workshop at PSB 2011.
The challenge was quite successful with 136 models submitted by 10 different research groups, using 13 different
software packages.

We have now arranged for a special issue of Biopolymers (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291097-0282)
to cover the results of the challenge as well as any new results completed after the end of the original challenge. All challenge
participants have been encouraged to submit a full manuscript documenting their results. In addition, researchers
in cryo-EM based modeling who were unable to participate in the original challenge are also welcome to
participate in the special issue. A prerequisite for doing so is to apply your methods to one or more of the
standard test models used for the challenge, and submit the new results to the challenge server for
public access.

The deadline for submission of completed manuscripts is November 1st. Clearly some time will be allowed for necessary review and
minor revisions, though there is no guarantee of final acceptance. Articles may be either mini-communications or regular articles
as described on the journal web site. Submissions should be made directly to the journal with a cover letter clearly stating that
your submission is targeted at the special issue. The submission system will also have an area where the special issue can
be indicated in the submission form. The review process will be handled by Associate Editor Bob Glaeser, with advice
from the Challenge organizers. While not absolutely required, we would greatly appreciate if you would send a short note to me
(sludtke at bcm.edu) indicating your intent to submit a manuscript before July 1. This will help us and the journal plan the timing
and size of the issue. Please email me directly with any specific questions.

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging
Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.
Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.edu
stevel at alumni.caltech.edu