[3dem] Open Position at Purdue Univ.
Chipman, Paul R
paulrc at bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
Thu Jun 9 09:37:49 PDT 2011
Later this year I'll be leaving Purdue for a new challenge. The
following position will become available:
Director, EM Facility/Project Leader, Structural Virology EM Studies –
West Lafayette – Biological Sciences
Develop and maintain the EM Facility as a world-class resource allowing
Purdue’s Structure Group to continue to function as a world leader in
structural biology. Applicants should apply online at
www.purdue.edu/jobs and reference posting number 1100885.
• Master’s degree in Science.
• Minimum of five years of experience in conventional transmission
• Superior organizational skills.
• Ability to manage a large, multi-user research laboratory with no
• Ability to solicit and evaluate advice from and interact with
appropriate professionals to maintain the equipment in optimal condition.
• Capable of using independent judgment for purchases.
• Ability to quantitatively analyze scientific results.
• Above-average attention to detail and be able to communicate
effectively with faculty, staff, and students.
• Ability to research or develop new technologies and be capable of
evaluation and recommending new instrumentation.
• Willing to learn/travel and keep abreast of new technology.
• Ability to use and teach others to use all the equipment related to
the EM facility.
• Ability to use and teach others in the techniques of 3D image
• Ability to manage the managerial aspects of this position with the
research and supervisory component.
• PhD in Science.
• Background in life sciences.
• Formal training in transmission electron microscopy.
• Experience in cryo-electron microscopy and/or cryo-electron tomography.
• Experience in managing the operations of a research facility,
troubleshooting with high precision instruments, and teaching students
and postdoctoral researchers and staff how to use electron microscopes.
• Experience in managing service contracts and interacting with service
• Experience with three-dimensional image analysis and publication in
• A background check will be required for employment in this position.
• FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
• Retirement Eligibility: Fidelity Contributions Immediately
• Purdue University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative
Director, Biological Electron Microscopy Facility
More information about the 3dem