[3dem] creating models from PDB files

Matthias Wolf wolf at crystal.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 27 22:27:29 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

I don't know how much it really matters to have "correct" density, but as our
technique has reached near-atomic resolution, it seems adequate to use proven
methods that result in superior density than from a "bunch of spheres". This
applies in particular if such a model-derived density is used to scale
experimental maps.
Wang & Sigworth (JSB, 2008, Nature 2009, Meth Enzym, 2010) have simulated a
solvated streptavidin crystal in their seminal papers on crystal-attached
proteoliposomes. The calibration of the structure factors derived from the
hydrated streptavidin protein model against the experimental density proved
necessary for faithful subtraction of the liposome density. Such an internal
scaling reference represents the gold standard.

As concerns programs, I prefer SFALL and FFT from the ccp4 program collection;
simply because they have been written, tested and refined over decades by
countless crystallographers. SFALL uses x-ray scattering factors for each atom
type. This method can produce adequately sampled density for a full virus shell
in a large box. Scaling the experimental map to the average amplitudes (per
shell) of such a synthetic map usually results in better density than simple
sharpening by negative B-factor.

CNSSOLVE can produce density using the input file MODEL_MAP.
There are options for including bulk solvent and the possibility to use atomic
scattering factors for electrons rather than x-rays. This should result in the
best simulated density short of a fully hydrated MD simulation.

EMAN's PDB2MRC appears to use gaussian blobs to simulate atoms in real space.
SITUS' PDB2VOL has some more options in this respect.

Of course it depends on the what you want to do. But I trust the
crystallographic programs more for producing realistic density. In addition,
most EM packages result in inconsistencies regarding header information (e.g.
origin, column start, space group). If not fixed with an additional step
(imedit.exe, mapman, etc),  the latter results in the density showing up in the
wrong place with respect to the model when displayed in crystallographic
modeling software like O or coot.

    Matthias

On Jul 27, 2011, at 3:47 PM, David Gene Morgan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone done any sort of critical evaluation of the different programs that
> will read PDB files and generate volumes?  I know that there are lots of ways
> to do this, and that different programs appear to do fairly different things.
>  But does anyone have good reasons for believing that one program is better
> than another?
>
> --
>                 David Gene Morgan
>                  cryoEM Facility
>                  320C Simon Hall
>           Indiana University Bloomington
>               812 856 1457 (office)
>               812 856 3221 (EM lab)
>            http://bio.indiana.edu/~cryo

Matthias Wolf, PhD - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Harrison Laboratory
BCMP, Harvard Medical School
Seeley G. Mudd 130
250 Longwood Ave. Boston, MA 02115