[3dem] CEMOVIS

Kirsty MacLellan Kirsty.MacLellan at nibsc.hpa.org.uk
Fri Jul 22 01:20:53 PDT 2011

Hi Hong,

You can cut the planchettes directly at -140°C (or colder).  I freeze the sample surrounded by 20% HMW dextran in aluminium planchettes and transfer them into a flat specimen chuck (which has two flat plates that can be tightened to hold the planchette flat).  Leica do provided/sell these if you do not already have one.

I try and remove as much of the aluminium with a tungsten trimming knife (available from many sources, make sure you get one mounted in a triangular knife base so it fits into the UC6/FC6 knife block).  To do this orientate the planchette vertically and cut, once the majority of the aluminium is removed I swap to a diamond trimming knife (designated for aluminium use only, as the knife gets an aluminium coating) remove the rest of the aluminium to reveal the vitreous material and then trim the pyramid.

Please note there is a risk of destroying or damaging the diamond knife due to impurities in the aluminium, so it might be best if you swap to another material for the planchette (such as gold coated copper, which are also readily available).

If you need any more help you can contact me off list,

Happy sectioning

Kirsty

Dr. Kirsty MacLellan

Senior imaging scientist

National Institute for Biological Standards and Control - A centre of the Health Protection Agency

Health Protection Agency,

Blanche Lane,
South Mimms,
Potters Bar,
Herts., EN6 3QG

Tel: 01707 641 503
E-Mail: Kirsty.MacLellan at nibsc.hpa.org.uk <mailto:mark.whittick at nibsc.hpa.org.uk>

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person
without the express authority of the HPA, or the intended
recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must
not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part
of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept
for computer viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before
opening or saving. HTTP://www.HPA.org.uk