[3dem] Re: CEMOVIS

Sergey Yakovlev sergey.lbl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:38:25 PDT 2011

Hi Hong,

You certainly can freeze samples in a planchet for CEMOVIS. It may need more cryoprotectant than freezing in capillary.

Alternatively you can use Self Pressure Freezing technique that does not need high pressure freezing machine at all. Put the sample (with cryoprotectant) in standard HPF copper capillary tube, seal both ends with pliers and plunge the capillary into a cryogen. It is easy and provides better cryopreservation than conventional HPF equipment.

We have submitted the paper on this technique in Journal of Microscopy but it is not available yet. You can meet me at M&M 2011 if you need more details.

Regards,
Sergey

Sergey Yakovlev
Downing Lab