[3dem] tweezers for vitobot

John Rubinstein, U of T john.rubinstein at utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 21 12:49:05 PDT 2011

Hi Isabelle,

We've been modifying our own tweezers for some time (since our Vitrobot
went through a phase of mangling them on a semi-regular basis).  There
are different mounting blocks that I've seen used with vitrobots: one
type takes completely unmodified Dumont L5 tweezers (probably the older
version).  The other type requires that you get the L5 tweezers cut to
the right size by a workshop.  Our vitrobot came with one of each type
of block but we got a spare of the second type from our outstandingly
helpful FEI engineer.  The red "loctite" on the forceps can be removed
with a Bunsen burner.  If you have the type of mounting block that
requires cutting the tweezers, I suggest simply taking the old damaged
tweezers to the workshop so they can use them as a guide.  For safety,
you should probably also use some loctite after putting the new forceps
in to ensure that the screws don't become loose during use.  In Montreal
you should be able to find loctite at a Canadian Tire store.

Best regards,
John

On 21/07/11 3:32 PM, Isabelle Rouiller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone had any luck with homemade tweezers for the vitrobot?
>
> We got a quote of 6,000 $ per tweezer from FEI. This is ridiculous
> since each tweezer without the mount cost 58 $.
>
> Any technical advise an how to mount  them?
>
> Thanks
>
> Isabelle
>
> Isabelle Rouiller, Ph.D.
>
> Assistant Professor, McGill University,
>
> Graduate Program Director,
>
> Dpt Anatomy and Cell Biology,
>
> Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building, Room 115
>
> 3640 University Street Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B2
>
> Tel: 514-398-3244

John Rubinstein
Molecular Structure and Function Program
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue, Rm. 3330
Toronto, ON
Canada