[3dem] 4k camera

Denis Chrétien denis.chretien at univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Jul 8 04:37:09 PDT 2011

Dear all,

We are considering the acquisition of a 4k x 4k CCD camera dedicated for cryo-electron microscopy of vitrified specimens and cryo-electron tomography.

- To our knowledge, the choice seems to be limited to Gatan, FEI and TVIPS. Are there any other manufacturer ?

- Could you give us some feedback with these cameras ? (e.g. sensitivity suitable for very low dose acquisition of tilt series of vitrified samples).

- We are also concerned with the fact that the Eagle from FEI is not retractable. Is it still possible to use in parallel film plates and images acquired on the CCD camera ? Our main concern is that it seems that we have to warm up the camera to recover the film plates. Is it something feasable on a routine basis ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Denis Chrétien
Université de Rennes 1
UMR 6026, équipe TIPs