[3dem] How close can a NMR machine be installed next to a TEM

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 05:01:21 PST 2011

  Hi Henning

We used to  have (this was ten years ago) a 500Mhz NMR machine at ~7 m
distance from our CM 100 and some ~12 m away from our CM300 FEG, all on
the same floor, or rather the same basement.  We have never experienced
any problems with that arrangement.  The instruments have since all
moved for other reasons than their possible interference.

Marin

==================

On 28/01/2011 10:30, Henning Stahlberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How close can a high-end 300kV FEG TEM be installed next to an 800MHz 15-year old NMR machine? If both are on the same floor, then the magnetic field lines from the NMR should run through the TEM column vertically, so that the sensitivity for the strong DC fields of the NMR machine might be less ?
>
> I would appreciate any experience or recommendations, also directly towards me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henning.

> Henning Stahlberg, PhD.
> Center for Cellular Imaging and Nano Analytics (C-CINA)
> Prof. for Structural Biology
> Biozentrum, University Basel
> at the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D-BSSE)
> Mattenstrasse 26, WRO-1058
> CH-4058 Basel, Switzerland
> Tel: +41-61-387 32 62 (office)
> Tel: +41-61-387 32 31 (Karen Bergmann, administrative assistant)
> Fax: +41-61-387 39 86
> mailto:Henning.Stahlberg at unibas.ch
> Skype:henningstahlberg
> http://c-cina.org
> http://2dx.org
>
> Postal Address for delivery of Letters / Goods / Express Carriers:
> C-CINA, Biozentrum University of Basel
> c/o Syngenta AG, WRO-1058.6.60, D-BSSE
> Schwarzwaldallee 215
> Postfach
> CH-4002 Basel

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Imperial College London
     Flowers Building (G23)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,        UK

     Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316
     Fax:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5317

     e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:<vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
     private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     web:    www.cbem.ic.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee
that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover,
Imperial College Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes
make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)