[3dem] Re: 3dem Digest, Vol 42, Issue 8

DocDave50 at aol.com DocDave50 at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 20:18:08 PST 2011

Reza,

One of the issues with glycosylated proteins has to do with  the hydration
of the glycolytic tree.  These proteins should stain well but  possibly not
with Uranyl Acetate at pH 5.5.

I have used 3-4% AmMolybdate titrated to pH 7.4 and included  0.5-1%
Trehalose, pH 7.4.  The way that the solutions were prepared is  as follows:

6% AmMolyb prepared at pH 7.4
2% Trehalose prepared in your favorite buffer titrated to pH  7.4
    Just prior to use, a 1:1 mixture of  both is prepared (rationale: the
Trehalose tends to oxidize the Molybdate such  that the solution turns
blue...no good for staining)

Using reasonably thick continuous carbon (There was a recent  3DEM note
which suggested that thicker carbon yields better Negative Stain  results.
Their suggestion was that there is less charging affects with the  thicker
carbon), you would use the usual 1 minute protein adsorption.  When  you are
removing this first solution containing your protein, leave a thin layer  of
liquid on the grid...don't blot dry (this keeps the protein from degrading
due to dehydration affects).  Then add the Molybdate mixture for 1 minute,
wick off the stain and ensure that the liquid is thoroughly removed (at this
point, the Trehalose fulfills the hydrogen bonding needs in both the protein
and  carbohydrate tree).

The way I have prepared my thicker carbon is by many (30-40) 2  second
carbon evaporation steps on freshly cleaved mica.  The benefit of  this approach
is that the carbon surface upon which you are putting your sample  is very
smooth and very strong due to the multi-layered approach.  I have  found
that 45 seconds at 25 mA glow discharge provides a very nicely charged  carbon
surface.

I hope this helps with your negative staining  issue.

David W. Chester, Ph.D.

In a message dated 2/15/2011 3:00:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,