[3dem] Summary of Gatan cryoholders CT3500 and 626 responses

Heather Holdaway hah46 at case.edu
Mon Sep 20 07:30:35 PDT 2010

Thank you everyone for your feedback on the Gatan cryoholders.  Most
everyone agreed that the CT3500 requires more maintenance and is harder in

Here is a list of the feedback I received regarding the Gatan cryoholders,
CT3500 and 626:

1. We have both. As other people may tell you, the CT3500 is supposed to be
very stable (as with any holder... provided you get a good one) but is more
finicky to handle. Grid transfer is a bit more cumbersome than with the 626
and the valve for the dewar's vacuum can be sensitive; one of my students
had several vacuum crashes in the holder because of that. Despite the
complications, I actually like the transfer station of the CT3500; it has a
feature that drips liquid nitrogen on the grid all the time and that seems
like a good thing. The clip ring is admittedly a pain from time to time.

--
Heather Holdaway
Electron Microscope Manager

Mailing Address: