[3dem] postdoctoral position in PSI, Switzerland

Ishikawa Takashi ishikawa at mol.biol.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 22 02:46:24 PST 2010

Dear all,

Following is an announcement of a postdoc position from my colleague, Kurt Ballmer-Hofer in Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland.

Best regards,
Takashi

Takashi Ishikawa
******* New Adress *********
Senior Scientist
BMR, BIO
Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)
OFLB/005
5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland
Tel: +41 (0) 56 310 4217
Fax: +41 (0) 56 310 5288
e-mail: takashi.ishikawa at psi.ch
web: http://lbr.web.psi.ch/TI/TI_web.html

The Paul Scherrer Institute is a centre for multi-disciplinary research and one of the world's leading user laboratories. With its 1300 employees it belongs as an autonomous institution to the Swiss ETH domain and concentrates its activities on solid-state research and materials sciences, elementary particle physics, energy and environmental research as well as biology and medicine.

The Molecular Cell Biology Group at the laboratory of Biomolecular Research at PSI studies the biology of vascular endothelial growth factors, VEGFs, and their receptors in vessel development and homeostasis. Our focus is on structural aspects of receptor signaling using X-ray crystallography, single particle electron microscopy and small angle solution scattering (SAXS). Excellent infrastructure for these techniques is available at the synchrotron light source (SLS) and at our in-house facilities at the laboratory of Biomolecular Research. We are looking for a

Postdoctoral Fellow
for our project 'Structural and functional analysis of VEGF receptor/ligand complexes by single particle electron microscopy and X-ray crystallography'.

Your tasks:
Production of proteins in insect and mammalian cells, protein purification and isolation of receptor/ligand complexes
Biophysical characterization of protein complexes
Structural analysis of protein complexes primarily by single particle electron microscopy to obtain a general view of receptor structure
Refinement of structures by X-ray crystallography applied to individual protein domains
Complementary functional analysis of receptor complexes in endothelial cells

Your profile
The successful candidate is expected to have a background in either biology/ biochemistry/biophysics/biotechnology, in particular in protein engineering and production, purification and characterization, or in structural analysis of biomolecules using either single particle electron microscopy or X-ray crystallography.
The candidate will work in the group Molecular Cell Biology at Biomolecular Research and at the SLS at PSI.

For further information please visit our web site or get in touch with:
Contact Line: Prof. Dr Kurt Ballmer-Hofer, Phone +41 (0)56 310 41 65, kurt.ballmer at psi.ch or refer to http://mcb.web.psi.ch
Please submit your application to: Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources, Hedwig Habersaat, ref. code xxxx 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, hedwig.habersaat at psi.ch.