[3dem] Ubuntu 9.10 on Intel X58 Express bother board mounted with i7 Processors

Fang Zhao fang.zhao at helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 5 04:03:01 PST 2010

Dear Anindito:

The Intel X58 with i7 simply tells the north bridge chipset used on the
motherboard. It does not specify anything about your network interface card
or most often on-board network controller nowadays.

It is up to the motherboard manufacturer to implement a NIC-chip on their
motherboard.

 Frequently used are those on-board Gigabit LAN controller from Marvell,
RealTek, Atheros. You have to identify what is used on your motherboard and
go to either motherboard or Lan controller manufacturer's web, some of them
provide Linux driver, or go to Ubuntu forum to find information.

Fang

Fang Zhao, MD. PhD.

Advanced Microscopy Unit (AMU)

Haartman Institute