[3dem] 2 Cryo EM/ET postdoc positions in Oxford

Kay Gruenewald kay at strubi.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 24 14:49:24 PDT 2010

2 postdoctoral positions are available in the Oxford Particle Imaging Centre (OPIC) at the University of Oxford, UK, for and integrated study of the structural cell biology of virus-host interactions using a combination of cryo electron microscopy and tomography with other complementary aproaches. This will involve studies of viruses and other large macromolecular complexes, both isolated and in the context of their native cellular environment. The research projects focus on the structural characterization of virus interactions in the course of cell-cell spread (Sherer et al. 2007, Nat Cell Biol. 9: 310-5.) and membrane modulation in the course of virus entry (Maurer et al. 2008, PNAS 105: 10559-64.).
Equipment in OPIC includes a FEI TF30 Polara equipped with a GIF2002 and preGIF 4K Gatan CCD, a FEI TF30 and a Jeol 2000. Currently, we are in the process of updating the detectors to state of the art including direct electron detection devices and complementing the high-end scopes by a FEI T12. All scopes are primarily used for cryo electron microscopy and tomography.
OPIC is unique in containing 300kV FEG cryo electron microscopes in (human) ACDP Cat 3 / (animal) DEFRA Cat 4 levels of containment.
Our group is a Wellcome Trust funded university research group focusing on structural cell biology of virus-host interactions. We constantly improve instruments and methods, and apply them to elucidate high-resolution 3D structures of biological specimens. We are dedicated to integrate the techniques with other imaging modalities and complementary approaches. The Oxford Particle Imaging Centre and the Division of Structural Biology at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics provide a highly international and collaborative environment and a driven innovative structural biology community well linked with other groups both in Oxford and internationally. We offer not only access to state of the art electron microscopic equipment but also access to the protein expression and purification facilities, state-of-the-art X-ray crystallography instrumentation and computing resources including GPU processing cores within the division.
The applicant’s background should be in one of the following areas: virology, cell biology, cryo-EM or computer modeling/bioinformatics. The positions are for up to 5 (2+3) years funded by a Wellcome Trust programme grant and are available immediately.

Further information is available here:
http://www.strubi.ox.ac.uk/strubi/research/gruenewald/
http://www.strubi.ox.ac.uk/
or by email: kay at strubi.ox.ac.uk or phone: +44-1865-287817 from Kay Grünewald.
Highly motivated candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a CV, publication list, a description of training and experience, and areas of research interests and future goals as well as names and contact information for 3 references to Kay Grünewald (kay at strubi.ox.ac.uk).

--
Kay Grünewald, Dr. rer. nat.
Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellow
The Division of Structural Biology
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
The Henry Wellcome Building for Genomic Medicine
Roosevelt Drive
Headington
Oxford
OX3 7BN