[3dem] microscope purchase

moreno at igc.gulbenkian.pt moreno at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Mon Jul 12 16:33:33 PDT 2010

I did some homework but I'm not sure it was correctly done. In fact I
tested the microscope and it looked to me a great machine. Very easy
to use and the AMT camera is just super-fast (no need to have 2
cameras like FEI was advising). Due to the technology used, this
camera is 1/2 the price of a Gatan or Eagle with similar specs.
Instead of fiber coupling from the scintillator it uses micro-lenses
for projecting the photons to smaller ccd pixels, resulting in less
electron number and faster reading. We might have an issue with
sensibility but for what we are doing now its more than fine.

Also the tomography is very easy. All this in regular stained
biological samples. However, the concurrence raised some unspecific
rumors about the microscope after I making the decision and I wanted
to know it there is any thing to worry about. I just decided by
hitachi because it was a better deal. FEI was to expensive and the
support from gatan is terrible in portugal, and that was what jeols'
rep was offering for CCDs.

We will also try to set the Gatan holder for cryo, but that is another story.

Many thanks,
NM