[3dem] non aqueous cryoem

Masahide Kikkawa mkikkawa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:16:13 PST 2010

Hi,

 I don't have the experience of freezing samples in ethanol or propylene glycol, but if solvent contains >10% glycerol, samples are very sensitive to radiation damage.

 You will get more specific suggestions what were the problems, such as ice thickness, radiation damage...

> --
> There is a user in my facility that wants to plunge freeze liposomes for cryoem.  The problem is that the solvent composition is not aqueous.  It is 33% water, 11% ethanol, 14% glycerol, and 42%
> propylene glycol.    Has anyone ever tried something like this or is it even possible?  My first attempts didn't work.

Masahide Kikkawa, M.D., Ph. D.
Professor
Department of Cell Biology
Graduate School of Medicine