[3dem] Postdoctoral Position in Cryo-Electron Tomography at UT Houston

Jun Liu jun.liu.1 at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 13 22:20:54 PST 2010

Postdoc position in cryo-electron tomography

	A postdoctoral fellow position is available beginning in April 2010
in Dr. Liu’s laboratory at UT Houston Medical School (http://www.uth.tmc.edu/pathology/faculty/faculty-Liu-Jun.html
). My laboratory is studying 3-D structure/function of macromolecular
assemblies in living organisms by using cryo-electron tomography (cryo-
ET). High-throughput cryo-ET with advanced image processing has the
great potential to understand the biomedical important events within
the cell. We have developed the capability to visualize hundreds of
living cells at molecular resolution within a week, by combining
automated data collection and high-throughput image processing. We
expect to expand the utility of cryo-ET through the development of
innovative techniques for increasing throughput and resolution, and
combining genetic approaches for the specific characterization of
pathogenic bacteria and their driving machine: flagellar motor.

  	Highly motivated candidates with Ph. D degree in the Natural
Sciences and strong interest in cryo-electron tomography are
encouraged to apply. The appointment is for 2 years with possible
extension and is funded by a new research grant (R01) from National
Institutes of Health. Interested candidates should send a CV including
areas of expertise and interest, publications list, and names and
contact information for 3 references to: Dr. Jun Liu, Department of
Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Medical School at
Houston, 6431 Fannin, MSB 2.228, Houston, TX 77030, Email: Jun.Liu.1 at uth.tmc.edu

	UT Medical School at Houston is equipped with state-of-the art cryo-
electron microscopy instruments, including a FEI Polara 300kv electron
microscope with helium stage and a 4kx4k CCD camera, one JEOL 1400 and
two JEOL 1200 electron microscopes. As part of the Texas Medical
Center, we have the unique opportunity to collaborate and interact
with the other academic and health components including Baylor College
of Medicine, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Rice University, the Texas
A&M Institute of Bioscience and Technology, and UTMB at Galveston.

Jun Liu, Ph.D
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Univ of. Texas - Houston Medical School
Houston, Texas 77030
Phone: 713-500-5342
Email: jun.liu.1 at uth.tmc.edu