[3dem] cooling water supply

reinhard rachel reinhard.rachel at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Sep 25 08:25:14 PDT 2009

Some years ago, we had to replace the first water chiller for our TEM (FEI) by a new one, and we choose an air-cooled version. Later, we found this not to be sufficient for periods of really hot summer days (rare, but can happen even in Germany). The air-cooled system was, at that time, not located in a room with AC. At above 29 or 30 C ambient temperature, it does not cool any more. We had to shut down the scope for > 2 weeks.
Later, the air-cooled system was modified and equipped with external water cooling, which is cooled by an in-house (perfectly reliable, in our case) water supply, in fact cooling water, which is too cold to directly run thru the scope.
Since then, everything is fine.
Therefore, if possible, I would recommend a water-cooled system.
Kind regards,
Reinhard Rachel

--

PD Dr. Reinhard Rachel