[3dem] Cooling water supply for microscopes

Terje Dokland dokland at uab.edu
Thu Sep 24 12:13:36 PDT 2009

Hi Liz,
basically you have two options: a stand-alone air-cooled system or a
water cooled system, which depends on the house chilled water supply.

Air cooled systems are noisy and generate a lot of heat, but that's
ok if you can put it in a separate room that has sufficient
ventilation. It should be quite reliable. I previously had this kind
of system in Singapore and it ran for years without a problem.

FEI recommended that we install a water-cooled system. It's quieter
and maybe more energy-efficient (certainly doesn't generate much
heat) and may potentially be more stable. But if the house water
supply is interrupted the microscope will shut down. It has happened
to us several times in the past and is of course a nuisance. You may
want to check how stable your house chilled water supply is.

The actual water cooling the microscope is of course a closed loop in
either case.

Terje