[3dem] THE FOURTH BRAZIL SCHOOL FOR SINGLE PARTICLE CRYO-EM

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 07:20:45 PDT 2009

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FOURTH BRAZIL SCHOOL FOR SINGLE PARTICLE CRYO-EM

8 - 19 September 2010

After three successful schools in this series, we are happy to announce
the Fourth Brazil School for Single Particle Cryo-EM. This school will
take place prior to the "International Microscopy Congress 17"  which
will be held in Rio de Janeiro (www.imc17.com).

This single-particle school is an intensive hands-on course/workshop, in
which theory and practice are tightly intertwined. The spectrum of
topics covered suits attendees that are entirely new to the field as
well as those for whom the technique is of growing importance and who
wish to acquire an in-depth understanding of the field. Topics range
from data collection and three-diemensional reconstruction techniques to
the interpretation of fitted X-ray structures into cryo-EM maps. The
final days of the conference will be devoted to more advanced topics
such as dealing with heterogeneous data sets ("4D" cryo electron
microscopy) and high-resolution refinements.
The attendees are expected to bring along a modern notebook computer
onto which all necessary software will be installed. Most processing
will take place in the context of the IMAGIC software system but other
software packages will also be available. Cryo-EM data sets will be
distributed for processing during the course. Students may bring along
their own data sets for processing and discussion.

Details of the fourth Brazil school will become available on the meeting
site: www.single-particles.org/school/

Kind regards,

Marin van Heel

    Marin van Heel

    Professor of Structural Biology

    Division of Molecular Biosciences
    Faculty of Natural Sciences
    Imperial College London
    Biochemistry Building
    South Kensington Campus
    London SW7 2AZ,        UK

    Tel:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5316
    Fax:        + 44 (0)20 7594 5317

    e_mail: m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
    and:    <vanheel.office(A_T)ic.ac.uk>
    and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com
    private email:   marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
    web:    www.cbem.ic.ac.uk

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee
that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover,
Imperial College Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes
make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)