[3dem] CTF Correction with Spider

William Baxter bbaxter at wadsworth.org
Mon Nov 16 13:06:31 PST 2009

As we have used it, the Gaussian envelope halfwidth (GEH) is an
empirically derived value used to obtain an estimate of the envelope
function. It can be estimated using the output of SPIDER's TF ED command
with the graphical tool ctfmatch
(www.wadsworth.org/spider_doc/spire/doc/guitools/ctfmatch/ctfmatch.html).

The effect of GEH can be essentially turned of by using  a large value
(e.g., 1000) , which sets this parameter to one at all frequencies. The
envelope can then be modeled using other parameters such as source size
and defocus spread.

Bill Baxter
The Wadsworth Center
Albany, NY