[3dem] Postdoc position to study endocytosis in yeast in Durham, UK

Martin W. Goldberg m.w.goldberg at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 5 04:08:18 PDT 2009

We have a vacancy in Durham, UK for a postdoc to work on the mechanisms of
endocytosis in yeast using HPF/FS and EM tomography as well as high
resolution scanning EM. The work involves determining  the effects of
various functional mutations of proteins involved in the endocytic process
on the structure of endocytic pits and vesicles. The molecular biology and
light microscopy of the project will primarily be done by our collaborators
in Sheffield (Ayscough lab) with the electron microscopy being done in
Durham. We are ideally looking from a electron microscopist  with yeast
expertise, but would like to consider candidates with either experience.

Equipment includes a Hitachi S5200 field emission SEM (0.5nm resolution)
with cryo-stage, a high resolution chromium coater with cryo stage, a high
pressure freezer and freeze substitution unit and a Hitachi H7600 TEM with
automated tomography acquisition. We also will have access to a 200kV field
emission JEOL 2100F with Gatan post column filter, set up for
(cryo)-tomography.

Durham is a small and beautiful historical city in the North East of
England, and is close to the lively metropolis of Newcastle.

Further details can be found at
https://jobs.dur.ac.uk/jobdtls.asp?Session_in=
<https://jobs.dur.ac.uk/jobdtls.asp?Session_in=&Uid=&vref=3122>
&Uid=&vref=3122

Many thanks

Martin Goldberg

Dr. Martin W. Goldberg

Lecturer

School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences

Durham University

Science Laboratories

South Road

Durham DH1 3LE