[3dem] Liquid Nitrogen Plant

Cindi Schwartz Cindi.Schwartz at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jul 22 13:18:48 PDT 2009

Hi all!

We are looking into self-contained liquid nitrogen plants as possible
equipment to purchase on a grant. They run somewhere around $100K. I
was wondering if any of you make your own nitrogen.

Currently, we have it delivered in 160L dewars each week. We estimate
current usage at 27,000L/year (but we expect that to increase to
possibly 40,000L/year).  We've been told by the university that we can
forget the idea of a large storage tank that some big rig fills up.
So, it's either continuing to buy from the university piecemeal or
make our own. My questions to you are: Do you have one? What's the
manufacturer? How much did it cost? What kind of maintenance issues do
you have? Has it been cost effective? Would you recommend your unit?

Thanks!
Cindi

Cindi L. Schwartz
University of Colorado