[3dem] Alkylamine vapor while glow discharge

Jacques Dubochet jacques.dubochet at unil.ch
Thu Feb 12 01:07:47 PST 2009

Thank you Wim for the comment. Yes it is as you say.

Concerning the hydrophilic/hydrophobic nature of the amyl-amine
(pentylamine) glow-discharged film, we had the following observation.
Simple tests for the  hydrophobiciy/hydrophilicy of a grid consist in
- touching the edge of the dry grid with a drop of water. If the
surface is very hydrophilic, the drop spread immediately over the
whole surface.
- touching the edge of the grid covered with a drop of water with a
blotting paper. If the surface is very hydrophilic the water goes in
the blotting paper but a thin layer of water always remains on the
whole grid.
The strange thing with amyl-amine treated film (as I was used to do
it) is that the film was hydrophobic according to the first test but
hydrophilic according the second test, once the drop was  forced on
the surface.
We proposed some explanations but they have never been seriously
tested as far as I know.
Complicated!

Jacques Dubochet
Honorary professor.