[3dem] Alkylamine vapor while glow discharge

Willem Tichelaar w.tichelaar at online.de
Thu Feb 12 00:27:17 PST 2009

Hi Eduardo,

Just in case somebody hasn't told you yet: glow-discharging in an amine
atmosphere was, as far as I know, originally used to get nucleic acids
adhered to carbon film; the reference is: Dubochet et al., J. Ultrastr.
Res. 35 (1971) 147-167.

Since nucleic acids are negatively charged at neutral pH, they do not
attach to a carbon film that has been glow-discharged in residual air,
because this process results in a negatively charged surface.

As far as I know, Jacques advocated to carry out glow-discharging in
amine and in residual air in separate vacuum recipients: once a device
is contaminated with an amine, it will remain contaminated with this
compound. The glow-discharging device that he had built at the EMBL has
two vacuum recipients, each with its own pump.

Best,
Willem Tichelaar