[3dem] Euler angle conventions in Spider/Web and other packages

kusser at lmb.uni-muenchen.de kusser at lmb.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Dec 18 04:24:04 PST 2009

Dear 3DEM members,

do I understand it correctly from what Tapu wrote below that VO EA uses an Euler convention different from SE A and both are yet again different from what WEB uses (and I dont even start talking about JWEB, Chimera or EMAN here)?

Regarding all the fuss about conventions, it would be most lovely to have a Spider script that simply takes the angles from VO EA and rotates the volume such that Chimera displays it upon loading without having to apply any manual rotations, flipping of axes or what have you. Chimera is my personal preference, but it might also be useful for Web or any other visualization tool to have a such script.

Could anyone familiar with the matter of Euler angles sacrifice half an hour to come up with such a script? I'm sure it's a no-brainer for people involved into these convention things and a lot of users would benefit from it... at least I would a great deal.

Many thanks,
Anselm