[3dem] Broken pin on Gatan cryo-holder

Bill Tivol tivol at caltech.edu
Thu Apr 23 17:52:59 PDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Terje Dokland wrote:

> The guide pin on our Gatan 626 cryo-holder just broke off, and we
> need to have it repaired. We could send it to Gatan, of course, but
> I wonder if anybody else is familiar with this problem and has an
> alternative (i.e. cheaper and maybe faster!) solution. For example,
> is this something that can be fixed by a competent machine shop or
> does it require very specialized knowledge of the holder design that
> only Gatan has? Any advice is welcome.

Dear Terje,
	In 2006 we sent our 626 to Tom Schmeltzer at TGS Technologies.  We
asked him to replace the pin with 316 stainless steel, instead of the
304 stainless that the original pin was made of.  This is because 316
has better properties for being repeatedly heated and cooled.  The
email for TGS is (or was in 2006) tgstechnologies at zoominternet.net.  I
have no interest in TGS except as a satisfied customer.
Yours,
Bill Tivol, PhD
EM Scientist
Ultrafast EM Facility